Friday, August 13, 2010

How to Fail in Your Interview

In my line of work, I've encountered a lot of applicants who failed to be applicants. They're the ones who pass on a resume-level, who look like they're good soon-to-be employees, but they're terrible as applicants. They're the ones who:

1. Say "I don't know!"

a. When asked about the company you applied to.

Actual Case:
Interviewer: So what have you researched about the company?
Applicant: *pause* *shakes head* I'm sorry, I got nothing.
Interviewer: Didn't you do any research about us before the interview?
Applicant: I tried to search for your company's website, but it didn't show up on the first page of Google.
Interviewer: But you could have at least gone to one of our branches and inquired or did something else.
Applicant: *PWNED*

Moral lesson: Do your homework. 

Actual Case #2:
Interviewer: So why would you apply for our company if you don't know anything about us?
Applicant: Because I know it's a good company.
Interviewer: But you said you didn't know anything about us. How sure are you that we really are a good company?
Applicant: *pauses* My friend says so?


b. When asked about themselves

Actual Case:
Interviewer: So knowing that you didn't have any knowledge about our industry or company, what gives you an edge over the other applicants that are vying for the position?
Applicant: *pauses* I don't know. I'm willing to learn.
Interviewer: But it's human nature that people are always learning whether they're willing or not. So given that, what else can you give to the position that other candidates can't?
Applicant: *long pause* *thinks* 

OMG. You can't even sell yourself. How can you sell our services/products? Good Lord.

2. Shot-gun their applications even if they don't know or aren't interested in the companies they're applying for

Actual Case:
Interviewer: Have you tried any of our services/products?
Applicant: No, because I'm not into those things.
Interviewer: So why did you apply to our company if you're not interested in our industry?
Applicant: I wanted to venture to other industries, and I think I can learn.
Interviewer: Yeah, but honestly, if you're not interested in our company, you won't enjoy it.
Applicant: Yes, I know, but I'm willing to learn.
Interviewer: So why would you want to apply in the first place if you're not into what our company is all about? Why should you apply for something that you're not passionate about in the first place?
Applicant: *pauses* Because I want to try and I'm willing to learn anyway.

Moral lesson: Don't shotgun your applications. Job hunting and recruiting people are srz bzns. Companies wouldn't hire someone who's not serious, and in the first place, why would you waste your time applying and going for an interview at a company you don't believe in or you know nothing about?

No comments:

Post a Comment